You have officially made the decision – you need outdoor storage. With so many options, how do you find the fit that is right for you? As you begin to weigh your options between a shipping container and storage shed, considering the following items will help you to make an informed decision with confidence:
- DURABILITY & MAINTENANCE. When you are making a storage investment, you want to make sure that the money you spend on the space is worth the investment. As you compare a shed and outdoor storage, it is important to note the quality of construction and materials. For example, everything about a container is built to withstand the toughest conditions and often requires little-to-no maintenance for 20+ years. However, everything about the shed will be lighter-grade. This may mean that there will be additional maintenance needed over time such as door hinges, roof shingles, etc.
- PRICE/AFFORDABILITY. When you are determining your budget for the additional storage space, it is important to keep in mind how long you plan to have the space for. For example, sheds may cost a little less on the front end ( $500-1000 less) but lose almost their entire value within a few years. Containers tend to hold their value with very little depreciation, up to 20 years life.
- AESTHETICS. Do you want your additional storage to look a certain way? Sheds can have the “look and feel” that matches the house. While a container can be easily painted to match a house or blend into the surrounding area, it is going to have more of a “boxy” look.
- SECURITY. Do you need complete security? A container can be locked up and completely sealed which means it is safer from thieves as well as rodent-proof. Sheds offer minimal to no shed security and without a tight seal.
- CONVENIENCE OF ACQUISITION. After you have made the decision for extra storage in your backyard, you likely want to know where you can purchase the storage, how quickly you can get it and how much time it needs to be set up. When you purchase a Simple Box from us, you can expect to have your box delivered and ready to use within 1 week of purchasing – no set up required! All that is needed is fairly level ground and room for the delivery truck to back into the spot where the box will be. When you purchase a shed, you are subject to the availability at the store. If available for pick up that day doesn’t mean ready to use that day. Many sheds require you to pour a concrete pad and actually build the shed yourself.
- ABILITY TO REPURPOSE OR MOVE AT A LATER DATE. Would you like the option for the storage space to be movable? Containers are designed to be moved easily from one place to another while an outdoor storage shed is designed to just serve one purpose at one location.
Below we have compiled a side by side Shipping Container vs Shed comparison:
|Price||$3000- $5000 on average||$3000- $5000|
|Durability||Made to withstand the harshest conditions||Made of cheaper materials such as OSB plywood, vinyl, or thin sheet metal,|
|Aesthetics||Paintable Box Like appearance||Similar finish of your house|
|Pest Barrier||Tight seal||Sheds don’t always have a tight seal so there are more chances of rodents, dirt, and debris piling up.|
|Investment||Typically maintain or increase in value at resell||Value depreciates over 10 years|
|Size||Larger: 10-foot container provides 640 cubic feet of space||Smaller: a typical garden shed is 350-450 cubic feet|
|Movability||Containers are designed to be moved from one location to another.||Because of its flimsy construction, a shed can be much tougher to move|
|Availability||Locate a reputable container company near you who can deliver your box to your location.||Unbuilt sheds are at many home improvement stores & malls|
Do you have more questions about if a shipping container is the right fit for you? Feel free to give us a call at (855) 855-4269 and one of our trained representatives would be happy to answer any questions you may have.