The Northwest finds itself in the midst of a massive population boom. Those of us who have lived here for a while know exactly why: we have the perfect mix of coast, mountains, and prairies to create the perfect outdoor playground in Washington and Oregon alongside flourishing cities such as Bellingham, Seattle, the Ellensburg, and Salem. Here, at Simple Box we want to make moving day simple.
We want all newcomers to have a smooth transition into our communities, including during their move. There’s no getting around it. Moving can be stressful, but if you plan ahead it doesn’t have to be too hectic. Here are some questions to ask yourself so that you can make your next move your best move.
Can You Start Packing Early?
When you start early, you have plenty of time to decide what to move to the new place and what will require extra attention.
- Start by packing your hall closets and other storage areas. These spaces often hold the things that you just haven’t known what to do with until now.
- As you pack each item, begin to picture where each item will live in your new home (this can also help you get more excited about the process).
- Decide whether you’d like to host a garage sale, donate your items, or share items that won’t be moving to your new place.
Moving containers are a great way to get your things packed and out of the way well ahead of schedule.
- Simply call to order a moving container
- Simple Box will deliver it to you
- You can move items into the container at your own pace
- Once you’re all packed, Simple Box will pick up your container and bring it to your new home.
Instead of spending one day filling a truck, this option allows you to pack and move everything out on your own schedule, greatly reducing the stress of moving day.
Do You Need Help?
Moving is rarely a one-person job. You’ll either enlist the help of friends and family or you’ll need to call a moving labor company to help you with your endeavor.
When arranging for moving helpers, we recommend:
- At least 3 people
- Plan for at least 1 hour per room
- Make the best use of your helper’s time by having all supplies ready in advance
Buy the moving supplies that you need a few days or even weeks ahead of moving day. When you arrange help and supplies far enough in advance, you can feel confident that you won’t be left to do the heavy lifting on your own.
Will Your New Place be Ready?
Even if you’re buying a brand new house, there might be some dust and other dirt remaining from construction and others who have been in and out of the house before you.
A day or two before you plan to move in, we recommend going through the house to make sure the following are clean:
- Bedroom Floors
- Cabinets and Closets
- Fridge and Freezers
- Garage and front porch floor – this helps minimize dirt being tracked in by movers.
- It’s nice if everything else is clean, but you can get to it later if needed.
Allow Extra Time for Repairs
Older homes may require renovations. It can also be nice to have extra time to paint, replace flooring, or make other repairs while the area is completely clear. This way you don’t have to deal with construction and moving at the same time.
Is Your Team on the Same Page?
This may seem like a no-brainer when it comes to planning anything, but when you’re in the midst of a move, it’s easy for times and dates to get lost in the shuffle. We recommend creating a shared Google Calendar specifically for your move and posting all moving related events and plans on it. Then, share the calendar with your friends and family so they know what to expect and when to help.
Here to Help
We know that moving can be exciting and stressful at the same time. We’ve helped thousands of people move and we are here to help! Contact us to request a moving package and schedule a moving container delivery.