This year’s Ski to Sea adventure race was a total team effort for Simple Box.
In addition to sponsoring the event and delivering Boxes to each of the 7 legs of the race (from the top of Mt. Baker to Bellingham Bay), we also sponsored a team of racers this year …and our team was fast!
In spite of the slushy start at the top of the mountain and a broken bike pedal for one racer, team getSimpleBox.com finished in second place in the competitive Master’s division and seventh place overall out of 497 teams. It was so much fun to cheer our team on at each handoff throughout the race.
The Ski to Sea race has been held each Memorial Day weekend since 1973, with early versions of the race being held from 1911-1913. This year’s race featured:
- Cross-country ski
- Downhill ski (with a huge climb up the mountain first!)
- Downhill run (8 miles of pounding down the mountain)
- Road bike (42 miles)
- River Canoe (on the Nooksack river from Everson to Ferndale)
- Mountain Bike (from Ferndale to Bellingham)
- Kayak (across Bellingham bay to Marine park)
In spite of road closures to keep the racers safe, we were given a great opportunity to ride along with the Race director and watch each leg of the race. It was incredible! Here’s a video with iPhone footage taken from each leg of the race.